Scientists have managed to create an exact analogue of butter - but without fat

Scientists from Cornell University (USA) have developed a replacement for traditional butter made from milk fat. The main criterion for the project was to reduce the amount of fat and calories while maintaining the taste, appearance and properties of the oil.

The new product does not yet have its own name, moreover, it is rather a blank, on the basis of which it is planned to make several different versions of oil without fat in the future. In fact, it is present here, in a volume of about 20%, and the remaining 80% is water. The numbers are not accurate, because it is supposed to add various proteins, dairy and vegetable, as well as vitamins, minerals and dyes to the product.

The merit of American scientists in the development of a new emulsification technology, the so-called "emulsion with a high internal concentration." It allows you to accurately dose the amount of water in the product and thereby change its properties. For example, you can use it to make the mixture thick, but still runny, like sour cream. Or to achieve a high level of adhesion of internal particles to each other and the consistency of the entire product like a solid oil. As a result, one tablespoon of new oil contains 2.8 grams of fat and 25.2 calories. For comparison, the same amount of butter contains 11 grams of fat and almost 100 calories.