Why Not All People Can Sing Well

The annual Eurovision Song Contest, which has just celebrated its 60th anniversary, is often referred to by evil tongues as "a strange, stupid carnival." Without him, we would hardly ever know about the existence of such winners as the Austrian bearded transvestite Conchitu Wurst or the Finnish rock band in the guise of disgusting monsters.

And yet, costumes and appearance are far from the main thing. Success in the competition depends primarily on the performance and artistry of the singer. So why, out of the millions of people who can sing, only a few are truly successful? Sean Hutchkins, a Canadian researcher at the Toronto Conservatory, has been trying to answer this question for many years.

During the singing process, each person reproduces the sound in a different way. But even being unfamiliar with the technique of singing, people skillfully manage their speech. The key point that distinguishes a good singer, according to Sh. Hutchkins, is natural talent combined with professional training.

It turns out that only 2% of people are deficient in pitch perception, or, more simply, "do not hit the notes." The remaining 98% are able to “purr” their favorite melody or appreciate what they have heard rather tolerably.

Vocal ability boils down to being able to control the pitch, which is why mediocre singers are the ones with poor control over their voices. Vocal timbres differ due to the fact that the oral and nasal cavities act like the interior of a cathedral, where sound waves are reflected in certain places. This reflection determines the structure of the voice.

For some people, the oral cavity conforms to a particular style of singing, which makes it more accessible and comfortable for them.